Thursday, June 23, 2011

An Update on the Canada "Kidnapping" Case

At the mother's request, I have removed the blogs about the Canada case, and removed the comments that went with them. The mother found that publicity was harming her case, not helping it. In addition, she was slammed viciously by many of the commenters.

Perhaps I should have deleted the nasty comments -- I think if I had it to do over again, I would. In principle I like to let people express themselves, and trust that good arguments will prevail over bad ones. But in retrospect I don't think it makes sense to allow such attacks against a mother who has experienced such a tragedy.

To those who followed those debates, I just want to say that I think the great majority of people are well aware that child protective services (CPS) in the U.S. and Canada sometimes make horrible mistakes and then cover those mistakes up. Some of the most glaring examples of these have been the subjects of lawsuits and court rulings, including the famous Nicholson case in which the US Court of Appeals ordered CPS in New York City to stop arbitrarily taking mothers' children away from them. So the commenters that said things along the lines of, "CPS looked into this, and they obviously know best" are not making a serious effort to reflect on what occurred and look into the evidence.

I hope everyone will have this mother in their prayers and that something will turn this case around.

No comments:

Post a Comment